Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I Heart Taupe: Chanel Safari's Dupe

I love taupe eye shadows, it's versatile and neutral enough for work and casual wear yet still has the twist to keep it interesting. I have two eye shadows that I use in heavy rotation for daily look and one of them is Safari by Chanel. It's a beautiful taupe color with slight shimmer, enough to add depth to the eye lid yet still subtle.

Recently I bought an eye shadow from Bobbi Brown called Heather Mauve (what a pretty name btw!) and when I compared it to Safari they were THIS close to being identical twins. I'd say they're like 98% similar. Take a look at the photos below:
If BB Heather Mauve looks a bit darker than Chanel Safari, it's because I was a bit heavy-handed when swatching it. It is really almost the perfect dupe, honestly you wouldn't be able to tell in real life. Here's the macro shot:


Here's how they look in the pan:


It looks more different in the pan than when swatched. I just don't understand the name 'Heather Mauve' when I really don't see the mauve in the color. Now, I can no longer find the Heather Mauve color on Bobbi Brown's website but they do have a shade called 'Heather', not sure if it's the same one only with different name.

Here are some looks I did with both eye shadows, I use the following for each look:

Look #1 (Bobbi Brown Heather Mauve)
- Base: Urban Decay Primer Potion (Original)
- Base color: Dior 1-couleur eye shadow in 516 Nude Luminescence
- Lid + Crease: Bobbi Brown Heather Mauve
- Outer corner: Chanel 75 Magic Night
- Eye liner: Burberry Eye Definer in Midnight Plum No. 05

Look #2 (Chanel Safari)
- Base: Urban Decay Primer Potion (Original)
- Base color: Dior 1-couleur eye shadow in 516 Nude Luminescence
- Lid + Crease: Chanel 45 Safari
- Outer corner: Chanel 75 Magic Night
- Eye liner: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Electric

All looks feature Diorshow New Look mascara in 090 Black.



Bobbi Brown's eye shadows cost SGD34 while I don't have the latest Chanel's price at hand but I'm sure it's somewhere around SGD44.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment